Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Apple iTunes LP format a failure?

Paul Bonanos at GigaOm reports that the iTunes LP format has been a bit of a dud:
Six months later, however, iTunes LP doesn’t prompt much consumer recognition, and none of the industry sources with whom I spoke said they viewed it as being anywhere close to game-changing from a format perspective. Rather, it’s considered more of a curiosity.
I can't say I'm surprised. After it was announced, I was very curious about this format, and I actually purchased the Dave Matthews Band's Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King partly because I'm a fan, partly because I was curious, and partly because it was one of the albums featured at Apple's big unveiling, so I figured it would be one of the better ones.

My reaction was one of disappointment. You can read my thoughts here: iTunes LP – Is that all there is? And I haven't bothered seeking out any more iTunes LP content, though I did appreciate the extra tracks included with the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment