Saturday, March 6, 2010

Which iPad?

With iPad ordering just a week away, I guess it's time to figure out which model to get.
The 16GB models don't make much sense to me; I have a 16GB iPhone, and I have already had to switch to manually managing the music on it because my iTunes library got too big. I'm not really sure that I want or need to put my iTunes library on the iPad (I'll still have the iPhone, and I'm assuming I'll still use that for music most of the time.) But, I suspect that I'll put more video on the iPad - like the complete collection of Top Gear episodes - and video really sucks up the GB.

On the other hand, even though the 64GB version is only $100 more than the 32GB, the reality is that I'll never have enough space for everything. It might take me a little longer, but the 64GB version will get just as full as the 32GB one. So to save a bit of money, I'm thinking the 32GB version is a good compromise.

And when it comes to 3G or not 3G, well, as I already said, I have an iPhone, and though the built-in 3G could be handy, I don't think it will be imperative. So I'll save another $130, and get the 32GB Wi-Fi version.

Of course, I know that I could be wrong, and that extra 64GB might be the difference between having my entire  iTunes library, and having to manually manage music. And I might find that the 3G could be damn useful for all kinds of tasks when out and about with the iPad. I just don't know.

But I'm never going to know the answers to those questions until I've had the thing for a month or two, and I have to make a decision now. With limited information.

So I'm going to go with the 32GB Wi-Fi version and see how it works. There's always eBay. Alternatively, I'll just wait for the next version and give this one to my daughter.




No comments:

Post a Comment